Saturday, November 29, 2008

LEARNING FROM EVERYONE

When I went to Kak Rabitah's room (my housemate with two brilliant daughters) last night, she asked me if I wanted to hear Athirah's story (that's her younger daughter. We call her Adik). I know Adik is very good at writing, she has read me really good poems that she made herself! I think that is so amazing.

So this was what happened.

That night Adik asked her mummy to make up a story for her but her mum said that she is not good at making up stories. Her mummy told her that God has given her the gift of Maths and Science, but when it comes to stories, her brain gets a bit dodgy and she will get stuck. Then Adik was asked if she could make up a story for her mummy, and here was hers (somewhat):

One day there was a flock of birds flapping their wings in the sky. But one bird just flapped his right wing only. His left wing was heavy and he did not want to use it. But one day, his right wing got hurt and it could not make any move. He packed and packed his right wing, trying hard to move it but he still couldn't. The other birds all ask him to "use your left wing, use your left wing" and he refused for a long time but then he could not stand it anymore and flapped his left wing. He found that he could fly higher with his left wing.

Kak Rabitah said she did not get it at first and asked, "so what?".

Adik said "it is about you mama. It is the moral of the story. You should use your literacy part of your brain and you might write wonderful stories with it."

It hit her mummy straight in the heart, and it hits me too, again and again. This is the third time I think I can burst into tears, thinking about Adik's story.

People cannot blame me if I really want at least a child in the future. A nice and clever one like Adik. Or like Adleen. Having just finished my rotation in Obs and Gynae did sometimes make me scared of the pain a woman might need to go through during the childbirth, but on second thought, it scares me more that when I sat in the fertility clinic, I saw a few couples who have been trying to conceive for years, but never been able to get pregnant. And it makes me sad sitting in the gynae clinic to see people coming in, requesting to terminate a pregnancy.


Me, Kak Rabitah, Adik and Adleen

Anyway, that is not what I am trying to get to.

The point is I learn a lot from Adik or Adleen even when they are still so young, being just 7 and 11. And of course I learn from everyONE else around me too. I agree with Kak Rabitah that Adik is so truly magnificent, I can hardly wait to see how she is going to use the gift that Allah has given her. Although on the other hand, I think she grows up too fast and I want her to stay cute as she always is now, but hey, time flies really quick you know. May Allah always guide her to the right path. Who am I to be proud of her, but I always am.

This reminds me of a movie called 'Horton hears a who' - a person is still a person no matter how small they are. Kids can really give great impact on your life, trust me.

I love you, Adik. I love you. I love you.

No comments: