Saturday, October 16, 2010

THE OFF TAG

Today is the 5th day at casualty, but I am officially off tagging today. A&E is generous enough to allow two days off during the tagging weeks.

I have not been productive enough here. Feel like moving at a really slow pace, which does not sound right as I AM actually in the EMERGENCY department. Still blurr with where all the stuff are. And not that familiar yet with the staff and system. Using the new H.I.S system makes things rather slow too. FYI, we have now started using the computer system, so every clerking and progress at casualty needs typing in the system. Still in phase 1, started since August but at least in ward, only the discharge summary needs keying in, clerking using the computer is optional. Phase 2 is coming up this November, which is next month already! Can hardly imagine how the phase 2 is going to drag the serving times.

Yesterday I merely clerked 5 cases. Prepared myself to go for ambulance call, but never had a chance to do so. Two days ago, I attended a Basic Life Support course which finished at 5pm. It just reminded me of how much I detest doing chest compressions, I got out of breath even before completing the first complete cycle. And hey, what is wrong with counting slowly and only made the final five counts loud at the end - even with this, I still get breathless, let alone counting from 1 to 30 for 5 times with the simultaneous chest compression with each count. Worst, the Boss randomly picked on me to be the leader of the first megacode scene. It was a wrong decision to step on the right hand side of the mannikin and started CPR myself, when I was supposed to be giving instructions to my colleagues. To count, compress the hard mannikin's chest, think of what to do next and give the relevant instructions at the same time (plus knowing it was only an act) was just NOT feasible! I should have gone to do the bagging, then it would have been easier to think and instruct. I failed the megacode, I can totally see it at my boss' face.

Went to green zone on my second night tagging. It is the zone where all the stable patients will be coded in to. There is always a long list of patients there. Patients who are unstable or in agony are triaged in yellow and red zones. That night I was made aware that I won't be a good GP. Too many patients to see, sitting at the desk asking questions, sometimes made the patients lie on the bed for proper examinations, having to include all the differential diagnoses into account which can be so wide - these just don't 'entertain' me much. I'd prefer delivering a baby and making a mother happy. Or doing procedures. Or resuscitating patients despite how breathless I can be.

Anyway, I am off today, planning to do some readings which has not started yet, hopefully will be carried on after attending my colleague's newborn's aqiqah.

No comments: