Friday, October 22, 2010

ALMOST THERE

Today, I am officially off tag again. Another four days of tagging then I will formally considered start working, blending myself in the shift system at casualty. Almost there. It will not make much difference, I think. The jobs are the same, tagging or not. Less responsibility in tagging I suppose. The best part is that I won't have to work double shifts everyday like in the tagging period. There will be days I will only be working from 0730 to 1530. Plans are already pouring in my thought - one of them is to go and get a new pair of spectacles.

Too many things happened, but I can hardly recall what to share now. Not that I learned much new things. The one big lesson I have learned so far is how much I forget and not knowing my things. How shallow my knowledge is. There are just too much to learn. Even simple stuff that you practise everyday like the content of normal saline and hartmann solution. Worst, by knowing more, you will realise how much you still don't know. It is very upsetting, but life is a learning process anyway.

Yesterday I took diclofenac for my toothache, only then to realise that I am allergic to it. Itchiness and rashes started after nearly two hours taking it. Almost had my eyes swollen as I used to with ibuprofen, feels throat closing off. Self pre treated myself with IV hydrocortisone stat. Very scared to go to sleep yesterday, just in case my airway would suddenly collapse but I fell asleep easily anyway, thanks to piriton and tiring day. Weird, I can definitely tolerate ponstan, but maybe I should start avoiding any other NSAIDS now.

10 days in casualty and I still haven't got a chance to insert a chest tube or intubate a patient yet. I don't mind much about the latter, as I have done it in previous postings, but chest tube? It is one of my aims in casualty. I won't let myself do it the first time in a district hospital, without any supervision. Having myself alone to be responsible for it. Please let there be a chance. There's no more medical/surgical posting to find one. Unlikely needed in ortho or paeds, the upcoming postings.

11th day of tagging (off today, though, a very unproductive day regretfully). Had I known only two taggers are off on saturday, I would have come to work today and off on Saturday too. A quite tiring week that one night I could barely sleep for my legs were aching, not knowing what posture or position I should have slept in. But anyway, glad that I am almost there, although doubtful that I am competent enough to 'work' at casualty.

No comments: