Wednesday, October 27, 2010

ACLS COURSE

I was wrong when I told you I was unfortunate not to be able to join the ACLS course. Apparently, Allah has planned better for me. Yesterday morning after the passing over session, when I was already mentally prepared to do my first shift at the red zone, I was told that the big boss wants me to join the course too. Hence, my morning shift was canceled.

So, total of three days of ACLS course. Yesterday, we only reviewed the basic and advanced life support algorhythm. Thanks to the recent BLS course, it did helped avoiding sleepy lectures on the first day. It is true that you learn more on what you already knew.

Today, the more complicated advanced cardiopulmonary life support was introduced. It is very useful, I'm sure. But I fell asleep on the afternoon lectures that I feel so guilty for the nice consultants giving the talks. I'm sure they could see me pretty clear with my eyes closed - how couldn't they when I was literally sitting right at the front seat? My eyelids just went too heavy and floppy. But thank god, I was wide awake during the last two lectures by the big boss - but, how wouldn't I when the big boss always gave me questions to answer?

Tomorrow will be the assessment day. MCQ and megacode i.e. practical session test. Teamwork today in the megacode practice was not satisfactory, my CPR was not the best, and I was failing myself with not sticking to what I was supposed to act as. I just hope I won't fail others tomorrow. Of course there's no need to worry about being a team leader as I was made into the last time - due to the fact that most other participants are either MOs from this hospital or from other health centers. Only five HOs are joining the course entirely and all are the new HOs in the department. People have been telling us how lucky we are, even the junior casualty MOs just had a chance to join the course, not the senior HOs too of course, so let alone new HOs finishing off their tagging. All five of us, we are not even officially start working as in charge at the department, but already been given the great chance of participation.

But this won't be good if it is going to create an issue, aye? Somemore, I was supposed to off tag for 2 days already, and I've been made off yesterday, and guess what? I just received a call from the HO leader - and he just rearranged so I don't have to work tonight (I'm supposed to work night shift today), so that I can study for the MCQ tomorrow. How nice! But seriously, I am starting to worry more if this is really going to make the issue worse. There have been queries at the background of why we get to go and why not others, you see. Very understandable as I might have queried the same too had I been long enough at casualty. I know this sounds selfish and I feel partly guilty about it, but how on earth exactly should I respond anyway - I am so not gonna let the opportunity off, you only get this once in a blue moon.

Headache with that. Headache with the numerous factitious algorhythmic lectures today. Headache with learning those guidelines, knowing that the latest ones are already on their way out, knowing that I will still need to learn the new ones later on. Let me just rest a bit for a while then maybe tonight I should really use the night off given to really study the nearly one centimeter thick ACLS guideline book, as that would have been what my pay is for, for today.

No comments: