Sunday, November 14, 2010

THE BIG BOSS

Some people missing in action in working time, is not a peculiar subject for me anymore. People coming in late for the ward rounds in the morning, or go back so early and leave the burden of the ward works to the others, also sounds so familiar. I can go on and put in complaints, and the list will be endless. Including things about my own self, like how I feel how slow I can be at times. But complaining alone won't achieve anything. Feedback like those in today's handovers is more likely to cause improvements, complaints won't.

I like my Big Boss, he is so far the most responsible H.O.D. I have met. He has this weird 'flight of ideas' speech when we were presenting cases or during the handover sessions, but he is very thoughtful and he does take good care of the staffs and the department; about things that should be in its right place. No one is allowed to come late. Which is good. I dislike punctuality too, even though I have always been rushing to work - but to my defense, that is only so that I arrive on time. I can list up ten reasons how coming in late for ward rounds will cause your punctual colleague to suffer. Of course, there are exceptions to being a few minutes late, but if it is a habit, it is something that hardly changes.

Back to the Big Boss. He knows what is going on in the department. Absconded staffs, nonfunctioning computer system that delay things, absconded patients, issues with other departments...etc. People who were missing in action and those staffs who weren't helpful were also warned today, so hopefully things will get easier and quicker for me. I love those nurses who were so helpful and not just bossing around, scolding doctors (read: housemen) because they have to do jobs. I love the former I would bake cakes for them. If I have the time and energy =)

Anyway, feedbacks like these, discussed in today's handovers are more likely to cause improvements, complaints won't. When I said feedback, I mean complaints made to and done by people who are able to do the changes for the better, and not just merely complaint to friends, who are at the lowest position like yours.

Attempt to get help from the supervisor was to no avail the last time, and even when we ran out of the lab forms yesterday, nothing very helpful was done about it. If the Big Boss is not in his current position right now, I wonder if adrenaline will always be enough in the emergency department.

Malaysia and good feedback system, is still a long way to go. The last time I put in suggestion in a suggestion box, a few weeks (or months) later, the box was gone. When my medical boss lodged an incident reporting to improve some systems, which I seconded, he got an incident reporting attack as if he was doing that out of arrogance.

Reminds me to how Newcastle University library answers NICELY to all the suggestions sent, oh how good the system is.

Same goes with the politics. But not going into that topic tonight, too tired I need some good sleep right now. And the conclusion is I like my Big Boss. Taraa...

No comments: