Sunday, October 18, 2009

PRE PROLOGUE

"I do solemnly declare that as a doctor of Medicine from Newcastle University, I will exercise my profession to the best of my knowledge and ability for the good of all persons:

- I will make the care of my patients my first concern, keep my professional knowledge up to date, and recognise the limits of my professional competence;
- I will treat every patient politely, with respect and dignity;
- I will treat my patients considerately, respect their views, provide them with information and involve then im decisions about their care;
- I will work with colleagues in healthcare professions in ways that best serve my patients' best interest;
- I will respect and aid those learning to acquire skills and competencies for the care of the patients;
- I will be honest and trustworthy, respect and protect confidential information, ensure that my personal beliefs do not prejudice my patients care, act quickly to protect my patients from risk, and will not abuse my position as a doctor.

In all this matters I will never discriminate unfairly against my patients or my colleagues. I will hold in due regard the honourable obligations of the medical profession doing nothing inconsistent therewith. Above all, I dedicate my professional life to the service of those entrusted to my care."

This is to remind myself the oath we all (the Newcastle students) have taken when we graduated as doctors.

No comments: